yes, another sheet pan meal
For my birthday one year, my daughter gave me a tee shirt that read on the back “Sheet Pan Everything;” I still do. Recently, I found on the website Half-Baked Harvest a recipe for Sheet Pan Sticky Ginger Soy Chicken and Broccoli. This was a perfect meal for me to prepare on Saturday evening as we were babysitting our 1-year-old grandson. I was able to get everything on the sheet pan before he arrived and just pop it in the oven.
For the recipe you’ll need chicken breasts or thighs, broccoli florets, honey, ketchup, tamari or soy sauce, pomegranate juice (or orange juice), fresh garlic, fresh ginger, chili flakes, jasmine rice for serving and for optional garnishing, sliced green onion and pomegranate.
I used boneless, skinless breasts for this recipe. I would encourage you to carefully watch the cooking time so as not to overcook the chicken. This recipe is baked in a 450° oven. In hindsight I would reduce the oven temperature for boneless, skinless breasts. There is a sauce that coats the chicken and broccoli that is made with honey, ketchup, tamari or soy sauce, pomegranate juice, garlic, ginger and chili flakes. My husband and I don’t like heavily sauced dishes, therefore, I used about half of the approximately 2 cups that this recipe makes.
The recipe bakes for approximately 18-20 minutes, just enough time for the jasmine rice to cook. The sheet pan should have gone under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize the chicken, but I thought the chicken would get too dried out. The next time I make this dish, I would bake at 375° so the chicken remains moist and can withstand a few minutes under the broiler.
This was a very good recipe. We like the blend of flavors. The pomegranate juice gave a little background tang and there was a nice balance of sweet and savory notes. Overall, a delightful sheet pan meal.
Sheet Pan Sticky Ginger Soy Chicken and Broccoli
By Half-Baked Harvest
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
2 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch cubes
3 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons pomegranate juice (or use orange juice)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
jasmine rice, for serving
sliced green onions and pomegranate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or rub with oil.
2. Arrange the chicken and broccoli in the prepared baking dish.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the honey, ketchup, tamari, pomegranate juice, garlic, ginger, and a good pinch of chili flakes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling.
4. Turn the oven to broil and broil 3-5 minutes, until the chicken caramelizes on top. WATCH CLOSELY, the broiler works fast. Serve the chicken, broccoli, and sauce over bowls of rice topped with green onions and pomegranate, if desired.
1. Arrange the chicken and broccoli inside the instant pot bowl.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the honey, ketchup, tamari, pomegranate juice, garlic, ginger, and a good pinch of chili flakes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 18-20 minutes.
3. Once done cooking, release the steam. Serve the chicken, broccoli, and sauce over bowls of rice topped with green onions and pomegranate, if desired.
Donna's Note: I do not like my food overly sauced. The amount of sauce made in this recipe, approximately 2 cups, would be enough for two meals for my husband and I.
Leave a Reply.
A former teacher, shop-a-holic, empty-nester redefining quick, family approved dinners.